Sunday, November 13, 2011

What do kids really think about natural hair?

Yesterday two 10-year-old patients of mine were arguing over my hair...one made a comment, "You have big, puffy hair." The other patient that's also natural said "our hair isn't puffy, it's beautiful". I later explained to them that I had "Big, Puffy Beautiful" natural hair. She thought using the term "puffy hair" was a bad thing. I came into work today and she handed me this!! Totally made me smile!!!



We are all familiar with the positive/ negative comments and looks given to those that wear their hair in its natural state. Lately I've noticed more children wearing kinks & curls vs. chemically altered styles. I constantly find myself talking with my 3-year-old soon to be 4-year-old niece about how beautiful her hair is. Some would say "They are too young to understand whats going on with their hair". I could agree and disagree. But if a 4-year-old is wondering "Why can't I wear my hair straight like hers(while pointing to other little girls)?" All she see is a style not the "just" behind the style. I remember when I was growing up, I didn't care to understand why my grandmother was hot combing my hair up until the age of 8 and then my mom started relaxing my hair around age 9. I just knew I was always excited about the process because I could listen to the "Just for Me tape". How do you respond to children not liking or understanding their hair in its natural state?!?

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. organic baby hair products

    ReplyDelete