Thursday, November 17, 2011

Protective Style: Twist, Tuck & Pin


I couldnt sleep last night thinking about protective styles. So of course, that was the first thing on my mind this morning. Many naturalista say that protective styles are good during the winter months, especially due to harsh winds. I cant say that I agree or disagree. Since going natural (September 2009), I’ve struggled with protective styles. I wear my hair out 90% of the time. Usually a braid out or twist out. Luckily I haven’t noticed much breakage, but I wonder if Id have more growth.

My reason for not liking protective styles may vary from others. Most of the styles used to protect the hair are pulled back, so that the ends are put away. Since I have a big head (Yes I know it), I feel like my hair should blend with it...LOL, I know silly. So when my hair is big, I feel extra FABULOUS!! I’ve had many trail and errors with protective styles....I dont wear my two strand twist no longer than 3 days. I once tried a sew-in, which lasted all of 23 hours, had individual braids (3 weeks, but could of lasted 6).....with that being said, I felt the need to challenge myself this winter by experimenting with other methods of protecting my ends.


I decided to blow my hair out (using a protective serum), then I twisted the ends using pumpkin pomade by Amazing Botanical, tuck the ends after rolling the twist up, secured with a body pin. I left two strands (curly swirls) out on the sides to give it more of a style. Im loving the results. Let’s see how long I can leave it up!!  Chime in with feedback!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment