Monday, December 5, 2011

“The Saved Scraps shows that Im living proof”

 
Listen to video

OMG, I don’t even know where to start. The church service yesterday was an on time kinda word. You know the ones that you feel the pastor is talking directly to you. Well I for sure knew I was in the right place at the right time!! Im a visual learner, so I figured Id paint a picture of my experience at The Potter’s House. Bishop T.D Jakes oversees The Potter’s House. It is one of, if not the largest church in South West Dallas with a membership of over 30,000 members.  I have visited The Potter’s House (TPH) on many occasions; however, I am not a member. That is the good thing about church, you are not obligated to only one, but you can freely worship at other locations.
 Earlier in the week, I heard via radio that Tamala Mann would be performing at TPH.  I grab the iphone and added “Attend TPH on Sunday” to my planner because I was not about to miss her singing live, for FREE. On my way to church on Sunday, I saw on twitter that Oprah and Tyler Perry(TP) were on their way to TPH. I just knew that could not be true….then I looked on both their twitter feeds and show nuff, it was true. Oprah and TP both sent out a tweet stating, they were on the way to TPH. While sitting in the car, I darn near had a panic attack at the thought of being in the same building with two phenomenal icons. Now it was pouring down raining, honey let me tell you, I was driving as if it was 80-degree weather, clear skies. I just knew that the parking lot and church would be over crowded, and I was not prepared to sit in the overflow room.
My friend and I arrive at church a few minutes prior to the service beginning. Of course, we had to walk what felt like a mile in the rain to the building, however, I was not letting anything stop me from seeing Oprah, Tamala and TP. If you’ve ever been the TPH, you’d know they have this one greeter at the entrance door that just puts a smile on your face. She is so welcoming and energetic.  The praise and worship team was rendering joyful songs as we entered into the sanctuary. We ended up with good seats in the balcony. Soon as I sat down, I started to gaze the sanctuary for Tamala, Oprah and TP. I noticed Tamala and David Mann sitting on the stage with other PH staff members. However, no Oprah and TP. After the church news was shared, The Bishop and First lady appeared on stage to greet the congregation. He then announced, “We have some special guest joining us today”. Of course, he started out with greeting Mrs. Mann, and then low in the whole, he stated “And for the very first time at TPH, we have Ms. Oprah Winfrey. Everyone is looking around for her, and there she stood in the front row. Lord have mercy, my heart literally fell in my lap, I couldn’t even get up to clap. I just sat there in disbelief, with tears streaming that she was in the same place as me. OMG, such a beautiful woman. Bishop Jakes then announced Mr. Tyler Perry. Please forgive me, but this man is FINE. So at this point everyone is looking at the front row of the church, people are screaming, shouting, and crying, you name it. On the oversized screen, we then notice Terrance Howard, Gayle King, and few other guests. Such a magical moment came about!! Bishop Jakes announced that they were in town for the viewing of “Red Tails” a new movie coming out in January 2012. I’ll post more about that later. Of course security was TIGHT as ever, therefore getting close to them, was not happening!!

Overall, the service was conducted like a traditional church service. Choir singing, dancers dancing, people shouting, others running around the church rejoicing, I must admit the spirit was sure in that place. With the spirits already lifted Tamala Mann joined in with the choir. She song “How Great is our God” and “Step Aside”, two of my favorite songs. And boy can she sing!! BTW, she looks fabulous! The Bishop then took the stage; we should have been warned to strap down to our seats, because he sure kept us up. It was hard to sit in a service like that and not attest to the teaching. The title of his sermon was “Save the Scraps”. The scripture he focused on was Mark 6: 42-52. (A summary of the chapter focused on how Jesus feed 5,000 men with five loaves of bread a two fish. After the feast, there were scraps remaining. The disciples picked up the remains and placed them in the boat. A sense of power came about. The power was in what they had left, not in what they ate. Jesus chose them to have an overflow. ) Some might think that is impossible, but that’s were faith and belief come in.
I titled this article “The Saved Scraps shows that I’m living proof” for two reasons.  After hearing the sermon yesterday and listening to one of Mary J Blige new track “The living proof”, I felt a sense of new belief. Our greatest blessing coming through the hardest breaks. Now that break can be numerous of things or people, but its up to us individually to make it through. When we are not thankful for the things we have, its hard for our wants to multiply into more. When we let go, and let our circumstances break, we are preparing room for more blessing because there is a blessing in the breaking.  God does not want to just give us enough, but more than enough. When we are going through life challenges, we often times feel that we are alone and forgot about. However, God never intends for us to go through to get nothing out of it. Each time you feel you’re faced with a struggle, remember to save the scraps, because the next time you go through, you will remember how he brought you out of one situation, so he’ll bring you out of the next. We all have lonely nights, tough fights and even days when we feel like we cant go on. Once you overcome those huge hurdles and see progress, you’ll proudly say Im living proof because you’ll know that the best day are in front of you. Recognize that life must carry on!
The reason this serviced touched me, was because seeing people like Tyler Perry, Oprah Winfrey, Terrance Howard worship God like everyday people, showed that they are living proof. They are individuals in life that I associate with strong abundance….Oprah, Tyler, Martin Luther King, Barak Obama, Michelle Obama, Rosa Parks, and many more, all due to the trails in tribulations they faced in life.  Even though some have passed away, when they were alive, someone life was impacted greatly. Nothing about their lives seemed easy, however they fought the good fight, saved the scraps and now living proof that the impossible is possible!!
My life hasn't been prefect, but I know I was born to bring about greatness, so Im willing to fight the good fight!!Im more motivated towards making my dreams a reality. Knowing that success doesn’t come overnight, and the trails I face are meant to make me not break me. Each time I’m feeling broken, I know that’s just the Lord preparing me for a blessing. Im claiming that Im living proof, because I know I will make a difference my community and the world!! I look forward to telling my future about my past!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying all of your posts! Keep em coming! This sounds like a really special day; thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep posting, S! I enjoy reading you blog. You are a special woman and truly are making a difference in this world. Hugs, my friend. Janie girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was right on time! I saw on twitter where Tyler Perry said he and Oprah were going to TPH! I was trying my best to watch it online, but was out of town. Thank you for sharing the sermon. I needed to hear that today more than you know. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete